Happy pongal and makar sankrati…both of the festival hold importance in Hindu mythology, pongol a festival celebrated and known mainly in South India.
In all festivals sweets hold a significant place, every festival starts with sweets but the uncommon part is rice holds a very important place in both the festivals, lot of eatries are prepared like curd rice, lemon rice rava pongol in Tamil, khicdi using dal and rice in North India.. so let’s celebrate the festival with rice but in the form of sweet i.e. Rice laddos
Preparation time :30 min
Serves: 10-12 laddos
- 250 gms rice (brown rice is preferable as it’s healthier and gives a nice colour and texture)
- 150 gms jaggery
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 cardamom
- 2 spoons sesame seeds
- Few almonds
- Wash the rice and dry it, roast in a pan till it becomes bit puffy
- In a jar grind roasted rice and cardamom, powder it. It will remain bit grainy which will prevent the laddos from sticking to your teeth unlike those eclairs toffee’s which we used to love having.
- In a pan roast coconut a little,in another pan add jaggery and let it melt and turn of the gas.
- Now add the mixture to rice powder, add chopped almonds and mix well and prepare round laddos, roll onto sesame seeds and laddos are ready (don’t cool the jaggery mixture completely otherwise it will turn your laddos hard)
- Enjoy the festival with sweets and fill your life with happiness.